Visiting Japan


Notice for Change in Consular Fees

Due to recent fluctuations in foreign currency exchange rates, the fees associated with visas and other consular services have been revised as of April 1, 2019.

For detailed fee prices, please refer to the Notice for Change in Consular Fees. Please note that all fees are subject to change without notice.

Changes to the Basic Resident Registration Law in Japan

With the soaring number of foreign nationals entering and residing in Japan each year, the establishment of a legal system by which municipalities can provide basic public services to both foreign and Japanese residents has become an urgent concern.

In order to address this concern, the law for partial amendments to the Basic Resident Registration Law was enacted in 2009. This makes the Basic Resident Registration Law applicable to foreign residents, helps improve convenience, and streamlines municipalities' operations. This amendment has been in effect since July 9, 2012.

For more information, please click on the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications links below.