Visa Information


The Consulate-General of Japan processes visa applications for non-Japanese citizens who need a visa to enter Japan for short-term visits and/or extended stays.

Visa Application Form

The Japan Visa Information Hotline (Tel: 1-888-704-4459) is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and available only in English. This hotline only provides general information regarding Japanese visas. For specific information, please contact the Visa Section at 303-534-1151.

Citizens of countries which maintain a visa exemption agreement with Japan are not required to obtain an entry visa for short-term visits (generally up to 90 days, however, some countries are exempt for up to six months). 

Citizens of the United States do not need a visa for visits of less than 90 days involving purposes such as tourism, business trips, and some educational programs.

Visa services are available Monday through Friday from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm and 1:30 pm to 4:30 pm except on Consulate holidays.

Applications may be submitted in person (an appointment is required) or by mail from within our four-state jurisdiction of Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, and Wyoming. Typically, applications take at least five business days to process, although applications involving special circumstances may take longer.

The Consulate General of Japan in Denver accepts visa applications in person Monday through Friday.

Business Hours
9:00am – 12:00pm
1:30pm – 4:30pm
1225 17th Street, Suite 3000
Denver, CO 80202
Tel. (303) 534-1151
Fax (303) 534-3393

If necessary, visa applications may be submitted by mail but only if you live within the four-state jurisdiction of Colorado, New Mexico, Utah and Wyoming and no visa fee is required.

Please send all necessary documents to this office along with a pre-paid return label (FedEx label is strongly recommended). You must also include a signed and dated Mailing Waiver Form (PDF 14KB) when applying by mail.

The Consulate is not responsible for delays or loss of documents by the postal service/carriers.


Visa Requirements 

For general information, please click here

If you have any questions, please call the Visa Section at 303-534-1151



Currently, this service is not available.


Re-Entry Permit Extension

The Consulate also processes applications for re-entry permit extensions for persons who currently reside outside Japan and hold a valid re-entry permit. The following documents are required:

  1. Valid passport with valid re-entry permit
  2. Application to Extend Re-Entry Permit(Excel, 28KB)
  3. A copy of Alien Registration Card
  4. Document(s) that shows extension of re-entry permit is necessary
  5. Fee of $28.00 (as of April 1, 2022)

Visa for Medical Stay

Please click here for information regarding Visa for Medical Stay.